Thursday, November 5, 2009

Chapter 1 page 1


“Who is the monster?”
“I am”
I don’t know what I’m saying.  I have never been good at this psychiatry crap.  I never understood the point of these sessions.  Every time someone passes in your cab you have to attend six of these psychiatric sessions, just to make sure you are all right in the head.  It seems so ridiculous to me.  I don’t think I have even heard of an ambulance medic going crazy because they lost someone.  At worst they just quit and become an alcoholic. These sessions are just pretentious nonsense so that the higher ups can cover their butts incase anyone sues.  A sad truth that happens all to often.  Thank you McDonald’s for caving on that hot coffee law suit.  You have effectively made everyone else’s life miserable.
“Jonathan, you seem distracted.  What is on your mind, these sessions are just as much for you as they are for what you went through.”
“Doctor Twain.” What is he, a doctor? I really should have checked out this guys credentials.  Kind of weird that I would get half way through the first session before I would even think of that. He hasn’t responded negatively I must be right about him being a doctor. “Doctor,” I turn to face him directly trying to look a little bit intimidating, in reality I am just tired of laying on this couch. Heck I think I am just plain tired. “it was never exactly my plan to be here, essentially ever…”
“No one ever wants to lose a patient.  I mean that no one does.  It honestly feels like you just killed someone.  Even soldiers don’t get used to that feeling. It actually amazes me that so many doctors are willing to perform abortions, I guess they just don’t think of that fetus as a patient.”
Great now this guy is going political on me.  If I ever have to go through one of these things again I am doing a thorough background check. I might as well enjoy who ever I have to listen to prattle on.
“Sorry I don’t mean to get political on you”; Now that is just a little bit creepy.  “I just want to make sure that you do not see this as your fault”
“When I said that that I never expected to be here, I meant professionally.”
“How so? Aren’t you here because of a work requirement?”
“Yes this is a requirement for all ambulance workers that have a dead on arrival.  But I meant because I am a professional.  I am the best rider in the city.”

1 comment:

  1. nice start matt. it is alittle hard to follow who is saying what i think it is a interiging story.

    ReplyDelete