Friday, November 6, 2009

Chapter 1 page 2


“You think very highly of yourself.”
“This isn’t an ego thing.  I graduated top in my class. I actually had this job before I had even completed the final.  Thats not exactly usual routine.  And in the last five years no one has died in my cab.  They all made it to the emergency room in time. Whatever happened then was on the attending Doctor and physician.”
“You seem to have changed some in the last five years.”
“What do you mean?” I know this guy isn’t the person who gave me my entrance evaluation.  She was hotter, and a she. Definitely a long way from Doctor Twain here.  He doesn’t look like he has been to gym in years, probably hasn’t even used the stairs in just as long.  It looks like he enjoys his therapist chair as slouched down into it as he is.  The entrance examination was done by this beautiful blonde with dark red lips. Wait she wasn’t blonde who is that blonde?
“Your file it listed you as having a slight messiah complex.  People like that tend to stay with their patients till they know they are okay.  What you are describing sounds a little more narcissistic.  The whole drop and go method.  Working as if you were racking up some points in a game. So I would say you have changed.  I would also maintain my first comment, you think very highly of yourself.”
I know what narcissist means you pompous beady eyed phony. I am closer to being a real doctor than you are. Why am I so angry lately? I just want to lash out.
“Things change.” I snap, just enough to let him know I don’t appreciate his conjectures.  “It doesn’t mean I don’t care any less. There was a time when I would be the vigilant watcher of those I brought in.  But in this city it starts being all the same. Drug addicts, gang violence, a hooker having a rough night.  They don’t need me to hold their hand.  I’ll save my compassion for those who deserve it, and I will be all the more professional in my job because of it.”
“So you save your compassion for, say, I don’t know a sixteen year old rape victim?”
Why would he ask me that? “Is that one of my old cases? There are a lot of rides in five years, especially when you throw in the double or triple shifts.”
“No this I don’t believe it is one of your cases. I didn’t look that in depth to what you have dealt with in the pass.  Just this case.  Why does it sound familiar?”
He’s right it does sound familiar.  Though it could have just been last nights movie of the week.  Great add confused to 

No comments:

Post a Comment