Saturday, November 7, 2009

Chapter 1 page 3

the list along with tired and angry. You would almost think I was drugged the way that I have been feeling in this office. 
“Just because it seems familiar doesn’t mean that it meant anything.  It could have been deja vu for all I know.”
“You seem to be agitated over this line of thought. Lets go back to what you were saying about being a professional.  We will just say that this was a little rabbit trail that I accidently took you on. Now as you were saying you are a professional…”
Why does it seem to unnerve me just a little bit every time he switches from being inquisitive to being a calming influence.  The annoying thing is switching it back to what I was talking about does calm me down.  Well until I notice him scribbling notes in his little yellow pad. I wonder if paced around if I would be able to see what he is writing down.  That pen though… such an odd shade of red.  Just like the woman’s lips.  I seem to be fixated on her lately.  I should try to look her up later.  I’m sure the professional indiscretion has well passed. Maybe the Doc here knows.
“Who was the entrance examiner?”
“Pardon,  I thought we were going to talk about you being a professional.  That question hardly seems to be professional.”
“It’s a simple question.  I just want to know her name.”
“Her?”
“Yes.  The woman who did my entrance evaluation.  From five years ago.  She had a similar job to you, making sure I’m not crazy.”
“I don’t believe your crazy. But I can guarantee that it was not a woman who interviewed you. Look right here under your name is the person who evaluated you.”
Twain hands the file over to me.  His middle finger pointing at the name he wants me to see.  As I take the file from him I slowly read to that point to make sure he doesn’t have the wrong file.  It’s mine, and right at the evaluator's spot is the name Dr. Samuel Twain.
“Thats your name?” I manage to stutter out, confused the most I have ever been.  
“I know it is. I know my physique isn’t entirely as good as it used to be but I can guarantee the last time I saw you I was not a woman.”
“I have never met you before today.” Even as I say this its like the memories are shifting in my mind.  Where there once was the blonde in my mind now sits Dr. Twain.  I think I might need therapy just for that mental switch.  
“Jack what’s going on?”
“Jonathan.”

No comments:

Post a Comment